2017 KSEA National Math, Science, and Physics Competition At Harvey Mudd College
Online registration at http://www.ksea.org/nmsc/registration.asp open from 2/6 to 4/4 (EXTENDED)
- Event starts one hour later – registration begins at 9:30am, exams start at 11am
- Invited Speaker: Professor Art Benjamin – “Mathemagics”
- Parent’s Seminar by Dr. Seon Ho Kim
- Pizza lunch
- Raffle for prizes
- Question and answer with college students
- Registration includes math and science or physics
- Harvey Mudd Tour
- Top finishers in the math competition will receive certificates of recognition from state, city and/or county officials
- Mathematics Exam: 4th to 11th Grades
- Physics Exam: 9th to 12th Grades
- Science Exam: 4th to 11th Grades
*6th to 8th graders can request to take the Physics exam by writing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9:30am to 4:30pm (note this is one hour later than previous years)
- Saturday, April 8, 2016
- Non-registered participants should arrive by 10:00am to register. Pre-registered participants should arrive by 10:30am to sign-in.
- Shanahan Center @ Harvey Mudd College
- 301 Platt Blvd, Claremont, CA 91711
- Lat/Long: 34.105512, -117.711528
- $25 Online (until March 31st)
- $35 Onsite
- $5 discount with KSEA Membership (KSEA Membership is welcome to those with interests in Science and Engineering)
- Street parking is available on E Foothill Blvd, parts of N. Dartmouth Ave and Platt Blvd.
- Lat/Long: 34.106685, -117.707118
9:30am Registration at Shanahan Center
10:00am (Optional) Harvey Mudd Tour*
11:00am Math Competition (4th to 11th grades) and Parent’s Seminar
12:30pm Lunch (4th to 8th grades)
1:00pm Lunch (9th to 11th grades)
1:30pm Science Competition (4th to 11th grade) or Physics Competition** (9th to 12th grades)
3:00pm Awards Ceremony in the Lecture Hall
*Please arrive by 9:45am if you would like to participate in the Tour. No sign up is needed this year.
**6th to 8th graders can request to take the Physics exam by writing email@example.com
- firstname.lastname@example.org, 323-762-5732
Venue and Area Information
It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you take a look at the practice problems at: http://www.ksea.org/nmsc/info.asp
About the Competition
Mathematics and Science are very important in our technological and scientific age. Proficiency in mathematics or science is the gateway to jobs and careers of all kinds. We hope that by offering National Mathematics & Science Competitions (NMSC), we can challenge and inspire all students to want to learn more mathematics and science matters.
The National Mathematics competition organized by KSEA and the competition is in its 16th year, and provides recognition for outstanding students, hands on experience with science, science and engineering students and professionals to instruct and counsel the students, and a seminar for parents to learn more about guiding their sons and daughters to college.
On April 8, 2017, the 4th – 11th grade students will participate in the Math Competition 2016 being offered in your local chapters across 33 locations in the US. With these contests, there are awards in each local chapter for the student with the highest score, certificates for high-scoring students across the country. The KSEA NMSC is dedicated to the goal of fostering the mathematical capabilities of all students.
Southern California will be hosting the math competition at Harvey Mudd College. We are proud to be hosting all events: the mathematics competition, science competition (for younger students), and a physics competition for high school students (including 12th grades). All registered students should arrive by 10:30am, and unregistered students should arrive by 10:00am to ensure that they can take the test. Lunch will be provided to all students, and awards will be presented to outstanding participants.
General Chair: John Lee, PhD
Co-Chair: Yeon Joon Jin
Administrative Chair: Jennifer Jo
Publicity Chair: Yeon Joon Jin
External Chair: Haejung An, PhD
Local Chair: Jeho Park, PhD
KSEA Southern California President: Seon Ho Kim, PhD
Additional Committee Members TBD